Thursday, December 4, 2008

Book Group


I've joined a book group here in Vegas and I've really enjoyed it. It started out as the Mommy and Me East Las Vegas Book Group, but since the Mommy and Me Group no longer exists, it's open to anybody. It consists of women from all different backgrounds, religious beliefs, and careers so there's always intellectual discussion from many various view points. I'm actually taking over as the coordinator for this group, so if anyone out there in the area is interested in joining, let me know. One person from the group picks a book for the month and the restaurant we eat at. We try to match the restaurant style with the theme of the book. It's really fun. The book for this month was The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. We always discuss the history of the author before the book so it's quite informational. I think the general consensus for this book was that it's a clever story line, it's a great classical book, but it's not something you'd read for pure entertainment purposes. There's pages and pages of character descriptions that you kind of find yourself skimming over. But overall it was a perfect story for the Halloween season and I think it should be made into a movie. It also gives good insight on how the upper class could be a curse. Our next book is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I hear it's a pretty heavy and emotional read so proceed with caution.

3 comments:

Texas Jacksons said...

Nerd alert! Just kidding! Ha. I've been wanting to do a book club, but yours sounds like if you went to beauty school you probably wouldn't be able to hang! Love ya.

Anonymous said...

The Road is FANTASTIC. It IS heavy and dark, but I couldn't stop reading it. It has a similar stream of consciousness style that Faulkner adopts in As I Lay Dying and capitalization and punctuation are something that you have to get used to in the first few pages. Still, talk about something you wouldn't normally read for fun, but will completely stick with you... you guys should do some Hemingway - A Farewell to Arms is a personal favorite... you could eat Italian!

Kunz fam said...

I'm so glad you found me!!! It is so fun to see who's out there in the blogging world. Your little girl is SO cute! I'm excited to keep in touch with you! -Charity